Activity - Section IV
If you have a colleague that is mutually interested in WHC, discuss the manuscript and the Power Point with them probing for a greater understanding of parts you are less clear on.
Questions for you to ponder:
- Review the basic structure of skeletal muscle that is involved with WHC.
- What new aspects of muscle structure were introduced to you in these two documents?
- For meat WHC, what is meant by "electrostatic forces", "osmotic forces", and "capillary forces?
- What is the role of the myosin and its light versus heavy chains in WHC?
- What is your opinion of the significance of electrostatic forces interacting in the myofibrils of muscle relative to WHC?
- How would 1% salt added to muscle affects its WHC compared with 4% added NaCl?
- Is there an inter-relationship between capillary forces and the myofibrillar spacing due to electrostatic forces?
- What does high- and low-density water have to do with water bind?
- Differentiate between "kosmotrophic" and "chaotropic" ions and how this impacts WHC.
- How does the ionic strength of pre- and post-rigor muscle affect WHC?