Concepts for holding of Water in Meat
- Held water = the smallest amount, strongly held (see Fig. I-4).
- Immobilized water = usually the largest amount, somewhat immobilized, and needs to be retained to maximize yields.
- Free water = Trapped water in capillary spaces, most likely to be lost, but with a coordinated plan for retaining water, significant amounts can be retained.
- At the isoelectric pH (about 5.1), water holding capacity is at its lowest point.
- Numerous factors interact in all water compartments.