Activity - Section III
Self- or group-study questions: (Answers at the end)
- True/False: Bound water is not usually lost from meat products.
- True/False: If the meat pH is below the isoelectric pH, there will be no WHC..
- The most desirable pH for WHC is meat at 5.0, 5.3 or 5.7 __________?
- If sarcomere myofilaments have more negative electrostatic charges on sarcomere proteins, the spacing between the myofilaments will ____________ (increase or decrease).
- Pre-rigor meat should have a ___________ (lower or higher) WHC than post-rigor meat.
- True/False: Phosphates added to meat systems will increase the WHC due to their positive charges. .
- True/False: Meat at a pH of 4.7 will have more WHC than meat at pH 5.2.
- Salt can improve WHC because it causes the isoelectric pH to ____________ (increase or decrease) from normal?
- Using the factors listed in the Fig. III-3, create several examples of how these factors interact to either increase or decrease WHC.