Activity - Section I
Self- or group-study questions: (answers at the end)
- Give 2 to 4 advantages for working to improve yields via improving WHC.
- Define water holding capacity of meat.
- Generally, the higher the pH of meat the _________ (better or worst) the WHC.
- True/False: Having meat at the isoelectric pH is a good idea.
- What is the major difference between immobilized water and free water?
- If you have some experience in the meat industry, can you describe an example where yields and WHC might need special attention to minimize weight losses?