Activity - Section II
Self- or group-study questions: (Answers at the end)
- True/False: Longer sarcomeres have lower WHC than short sarcomeres.
- Muscles with shorter sarcomeres have _________(more/less) space for water entrapment.
- If there are more negative electrostatic charges on sarcomere myofilaments, the spacing between the proteins molecules will ____________ (increase or decrease).
- True/False: The net charge on sarcomere myofilaments increases as pH increases.
- What do PSE and DFD represent?
- How can animal genetics affect WHC?
- As muscle is converted into meat, normally the pH declines to about _______ (give a range).
- How can post-mortem chilling affect WHC?
- Why is a rapid drop in muscle pH while the carcass temperature is still high so undesirable?