We would like to provide you with some ideas on how to use this learning resource in different settings and for different target groups.
Training employees in industry
- Initially, let the employees individually describe their system for driving pigs to stunning and give them a chance to comment on their system.
- Give them time to work on the content of this resource (preferably over one or two weeks) and to post their thoughts on the Comments page.
- Discuss how each of the driving systems (handling routines, technical solutions, aids and attitudes) can be improved.
Teaching students in higher education
- Initially, visit an abattoir and focus on pre-slaughter handling and driving to stunning (if possible give the students the task of recording the process on video).
- Give the students time to work on the content of this resource (preferably over one or two weeks) and to post their thoughts on the Comments page.
- Ask students to write a reasoned recommendation to a decision maker at a specific abattoir. The recommendation should in 300 words summarize their opinion on a specific system for driving pigs to stunning from the point of view of animal stress, animal welfare and meat quality.
- As an alternative task, ask the students to conduct a hazard identification of animal welfare problems at the local abattoir or to produce a video with an introductory text.